Out on Your Loan
What is the ‘Out on Your Loan’ programme?
Out on Your Loan is a new inclusive cycling programme that will support disabled people from across the West Midlands who want to travel and be active by making cycling journeys in their local area.
We will provide:
- Training and guidance to each individual
- Long-term loan of an adapted cycle suited to each individual’s needs and abilities
The aim of the programme is to understand the needs of disabled people who have previously been restricted by the lack of opportunities to access and enjoy cycling, and support them to be active in their local area. By empowering disabled people to make their own choices and decisions, we believe people will begin to weave cycling into their lifestyle aided by the adapted cycle loan, training and support.
Why should you apply?
We want to provide the opportunity for more people with additional needs and disabilities to access and enjoy cycling. We will deliver a package of training and support for each individual to enable participants to cycle safely in and around their local area.
We hope that participants may then be able to progress further and take part in cycling activities with friends and family, or join in local cycle clubs or groups to explore further with others.
Who will deliver the programme?
Out on Your Loan will be delivered by staff from Cycling Projects, working in partnership with Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) who are also providing funding for the programme.
Your contact will be Chris Watts – Wheels for All Coordinator for the West Midlands region. Chris can be contacted via email: email@example.com or mobile: 07971 476520
Other Cycling Projects staff and volunteers will also support session delivery.
This programme was made possible by the Active Travel Fund, following the Department for Transport grant to Transport for West Midlands, part of West Midlands Combined Authority.
Who is it for?
- Participants must live in one of the following postcode areas within the West Midlands: Birmingham, Coventry, Sandwell, Dudley, Solihull, Walsall, Wolverhampton
- Must be an ADULT (aged 18+)
- Cannot access a standard bicycle (2-wheeler)
- Be willing to take part in ALL ASPECTS of the Out on Your Loan programme
- Be able to safely store the loan cycle at their home
- Participants will need the physical ability to safely handle, manage and control the adapted cycle following initial training and support from Cycling Projects
What training and support will be available?
- How to safely handle and operate the adapted cycle
- Where to ride and making safe route choices
- Building your own levels of cycling confidence and ability during the programme
- Basic cycle repairs and maintenance
Where will you cycle?
We want you to be able to cycle in your local area, starting from your own home where possible. We will help you choose routes which will generally be in traffic free settings (local parks, cycle routes or shared use paths) and progress to local low traffic neighbourhoods / streets.
What is expected of participants?
- Commit to regular cycling activity and training over a period of at least 6 months
- Follow the instructions and guidance given by Cycling Projects staff including which sorts of routes / areas to choose for your cycling journeys so that you can ride safely
- Store the adapted cycle in a safe and secure place
- demonstrate how owning an adapted cycle has benefited you. We may gather this information in a number of ways, depending on what you are comfortable with. For example, by completing logbooks and / or sharing video diaries and photographs
- Partake in monthly catch ups to give us feedback on your cycle journeys and your cycling experiences, which may involve asking you to complete feedback forms
- keep a log of your activity including use of ‘Love to Ride’ app
How do I apply?
What kinds of bike are available?
Examples of types of adapted cycles that will be available for loan as part of the programme are:
- Recumbant tricycle (e.g. Tomcat Dragon)
- Upright geared tricyle (e.g. Yorvik)
- Hand cycle (geared) e.g. Da Vinci
- Hand cycle attachment for standard wheelchair
Help us reach more people.
See how you can donate to Cycling Projects valuable work.
Find a centre
Find your nearest centre.
We’ve got over 50 inclusive cycling centres across the UK.
Your spare time is priceless.
Learn new skills, meet new people, and support our valuable community work.