Posted: 26 March, 2019
Volunteer Best Practice: Taking on under 16 years old volunteers - National Guidance
- Young People aged 16 years old and under but still in school are allowed to volunteer for 2 hours per day on a school day (after school).
- Under 15 year olds can volunteer 5 hours per day on a non-school days (half terms and summer holidays) and 15 - 16 year olds can volunteer up to 8 hours per day.
- 15-16 year olds can volunteer for 2 hours on Sundays which would provide extra support during events.
- Volunteering cannot be a reason for being absent from school.
- Consent from a parent or a guardian should be obtained before a person under the age of 18 starts volunteering.
- Under 16s cannot have a DBS check carried out on them and are prohibited from being in a position of trust with vulnerable people.
- 16-17 years old have not restriction on the number of hours they volunteer, as long as they remain in part time training or education until they are 17 years old.
If you want to know more – please do get in touch with Tom and he can give you further information firstname.lastname@example.org