bike & boots
The Cycling and Walking to Walk Fund from MerseyTravel targets jobseekers, or those new to a job role within the last 6 months, who want to walk or cycle to work as part of their commute.
bike & boots helps with the cost of a new bicycle, or a reclaimed bike with lights and helmet. We can also help with wet-weather gear and walking boots if you’re planning on walking to work.
Get to work in an active, efficient, and enjoyable way. We’ll even train and kit you out.
The main eligibility criteria for the scheme are:
- Living (and working) in the local authority
- Unemployed but have been offered a job lasting a minimum of 13 weeks
- Newly employed, within the last 6 months, but were previously unemployed
- Willing to walk or cycle to work and…
- …Will consider committing to further free training and skills sessions within the local community, such as
- Bicycle maintenance (basic)
- Road safety
- Route planning
- Buddy rides / buddy walks
- Local park and green space walks
- Ride leadership — Pedal Away or Wheels for All — cycling for those with a disability, learning difficulty, or recovering from illness / injury
- Volunteering at Pedal Away or Wheels for All
This project is wholly funded from the Department for Transport Cycling and Walking to Work Fund.
Available for free through boots and bikes
- Help with a new or recycled bike*
- Travel pass (Knowsley residents only)
- Cycle training
- Bicycle maintenance
- Ride leader training
- Guided rides
- Guided walks
- Journey planning
- ’Buddy’ rides
- ’Buddy’ walks
- Wet weather gear
To get in touch with bikes & boots contact your local representative
Ian Jones — firstname.lastname@example.org. 07469 148254
Latest Bike & Boots news
You can read the latest Bike & Boots updates, including case studies, on our news page.
Help us reach more people.
See how you can donate to Cycling Projects valuable work.
Find a centre
Find your nearest centre.
We’ve got over 50 inclusive cycling centres across the UK.
Your spare time is priceless.
Learn new skills, meet new people, and support our valuable community work.